You’ve Been Charged with a DWI: What are the Next Steps?

Are you wondering how to proceed after a DWI charge? While this can be a stressful and emotionally draining experience, it is best to take the next necessary steps promptly to get the best results for your case.

To learn more about the next steps after a DWI charge, keep reading. In this guide, we will go over the things you will want to check off your list to proceed effectively.

You’ve Been Charged with a DWI What are the Next StepsConsult an Attorney

One of the first things you will want to do following your DWI charge is to find a lawyer to represent your case. Find a trusted lawyer and set up a consultation to find out more about your case and what the chances are of beating it. Bring your ticket and any other documentation necessary with you to the meeting.

An attorney can review your documents and check for any mistakes. They can also consult you on your options for fighting your case. It’s best to consult an experienced DWI attorney that can tell you what the maximum and minimum penalties for your case may be as well as what a good deal would be.

Request Evidence

After consulting an attorney, you will want to request any necessary evidence, such as police camera footage and reports. It’s best to be as prepared as possible before you head to court. Your lawyer may advise you on how to request this evidence or may send a subpoena to the police department for you.

You will then need to file the subpoena to the clerk’s office at your local courthouse and give a copy to the prosecutor. This step is important, as evidence can be destroyed if not requested accurately.

File a Motion to Unsuspend Your License

To file a motion to get your license back, you will want to look at the statute and any relevant laws on how to contest the suspension of your license. You may be able to find a blank template for this notion on the local court’s website. Typically, the motion is then filed with the clerk’s office at the courthouse and will need to be dropped off at the prosecutor’s office.

Before filing the motion, it’s best to look for your local court’s requirements on filing the motion, as each local court may have different rules on how to file a motion to change the suspension. You will then want to file an appearance with the court before your first court date or on the first court date.

Initial Steps to Take Following a DWI Charge

After a DWI charge, it may feel difficult to take action, but it’s important to proceed and make the best choices for your case for the best results. Find a trusted attorney that can guide you through this process by allowing for consultation while also professionally defending you in court. Work to make sure your case goes as smoothly as possible with these necessary next steps.

Are you looking for a trusted attorney that can help you navigate your DWI case and defend you in court? Contact Hamilton and Grant today to get started.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *