Ignition Interlock Device FAQ

An ignition interlock device (IID) can feel like a ball and chain for anyone accused of drinking and driving. It is a constant reminder of a DWI (operating while intoxicated) charge and carries a lot of emotional pain. That’s why we put together this ignition interlock device FAQ in the hopes of answering questions many don’t want to ask.

Ignition Interlock Device FAQQ: How Do I Get an IID?

A: In Texas, all multiple offenders receive an ignition interlock device. First-time offenders may receive an IID if they are charged with a DWI while 21-years-old or if they blow a BAC over 0.15%.

Q: How Long Will I Have an IID?

A: In Texas, a first or second time DWI offender must have an IID in their vehicle for two years. A third-time offender will have an IID installed for three years.

Q: Does Every Vehicle Need an IID?A: Yes. In Texas, a DWI offender must install an IID on every street-legal vehicle in their name. Failure to do so could result in a hefty fine or even jail time.

Q: How Much Does an IID Cost?

A: IIDs are charged on a monthly basis and may need replacing every few months. On average, a Texas DWI offender can expect to pay $80 per month in IID charges.

Q: What if I Can’t Blow For an IID?

A: If you don’t have the lung capacity to operate an interlock ignition device (1.5 liters of air), you may be able to receive a medical waiver to have your IID recalibrated. You should consult with your attorney or your caseworker to determine whether you are eligible.

Q: Can I Drive Other Cars

A: DWI offenders cannot operate any vehicle unless it has an IID. That includes family vehicles, rental cars, and recreational vehicles.

Q: Can I Drive a Motorcycle?

A: Texas does not install IIDs on motorcycles. Therefore, a DWI offender cannot legally drive a motorcycle until their IID period is ended.

Q: Can I Reduce My Punishment?

A: No. Once you’re issued an IID, you must complete the sentence ordered by the court. The best way to avoid an IID is to avoid a guilty verdict.

If you were charged with driving under the influence, you may want legal representation. If you’d like an experienced Dallas DWI attorney from Deandra Grant Law to evaluate your case, please send us an email or call (214) 225-7117.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *